
These aren’t the exact words, but I’ll try to retell them as close as I could … Sarah held her doll tightly, the news was hardly registering – her father is dead? With pride that always made her stand out, she lifted her chin and left the room as fast as she could; she wanted to stay away from Miss Minchin’s sight. “Aren’t you going to thank me for giving you a home you child with no gratitude?” Miss Minchin’s cry echoed the room. “Why should I?” Sarah called back. “You are not nice. And this is not a home.” Sarah knew the doom that awaited her but never really knew how hard it would be.
“How sad.” I thought turning the pages of the book before putting it back to the shelves. “Just another children’s book.” I sighed and left the library.
Several weeks later, I was with year 8 class when I noticed a hardcover book. I looked at it and read its summary. It says the story is about a rich half-Indian half-French girl named Sarah who was sent to a boarding school in London by his rich business man father who pampered her with stuff and care as if she was a princess but until he died penniless due to a failed diamond business. It hit me! Isn’t this the book of Princess Sarah? The cartoon TV series that I was die hard of when I was a kid which I watched religiously every day but not until I saw its ending, our family had to move to a new place where we didn’t quickly get access to TV channels. I never knew its ending. I never knew what happened to Princess Sarah. When I got to high school, I saw parts of its Filipino movie version starred by Camille Prats but it didn’t really amuse me that I didn’t even finish it. I looked at the title of the book, “A little Princess Sarah
I devoured the book in an hour. Then I came to the part when Sarah called back, “Why should I? You are not nice. This is not a home.” Oh my! How funny. Isn’t this the same book that I ignored in the library? Now the puzzles were meeting each other and all the questions answered. I no longer wonder about the turbaned man and why Sarah became poor. I no longer wonder what became of her. I am now rest assured that Sarah got back her title and her fortune. Princess Sarah, the girl that I loved so much when I was a little girl, is no longer a mystery.
I also grew up watching Princess Sarah.
ReplyDeleteThe cartoon version and a movie version made in our country.