Saturday, June 19, 2010

I’m thankful that my journey in searching for “The one” has ended


There was a time when I thought that I am professionally accomplished but romantically a failure. I was a straight A student since elementary, high school and up to college and was always an achiever. However, I found that being an achiever has got its cons when it comes to relationships; at least, that’s what I thought. Some men were obviously into me but they never came up to speak up. Those who did, however, did not measure up to my standards. Time has passed that I was always lonely wondering when I would find Mr. Right.

I grew up into an adult and learned how to deal with men better so that I started to be in a relationship. However, one relationship after another always ended up in broken heart. But I noticed that each relationship was not independent of each other. In fact, it was a chain. A broken relationship would give way for the next, and so on. But I was anxious to meet Mr. Right and I wanted to meet him at the right time. I wanted to get married at 28 and I wanted to meet him at age 27. Four years before my target age for marriage I thought that perhaps I should make a marathon prayer. I decided to pray for what I wanted for an entire year. Nobody knew about it but my prayer every night was the same – That God would introduce to me Mr. Right at age 27 or a little earlier and that I should get married with the one that God has intended for me at age 28. So it was a complete 366 days that I was praying the same thing every night before I go to sleep. After that entire year of marathon prayer, I started to be in some meaningful relationships, of which three ended up in break ups and so much pain. A part of me was losing hope, but a bigger part of me believed that God would just send me the one when it is time.

At one time I was nursing a broken heart when I met a guy online. I thought that I could use him as a rebound. I was not very attracted at him at first but I did like the fact that he was sexy and a very appealing man. What was supposed to be a play around rebound driven by my desire for revenge had turned out into a very loving and satisfying relationship. Seven months of daily chatting and phone call, and two months after I turned 26, the man flew for 21 hours to meet me in person. Three months later, few months before I turned 27, the man flew back again to propose. And by this date, we are six months away from our big day. When my boyfriend proposed, it dawned on me that I was actually nearing 27 and the date that we agreed for the wedding would make me nearing age 28. Just perfect for my calendar! But above all, more than the age, the man that God has given me is everything that I had asked for. I am marrying the man that loves me completely and who’s determined to make me happy.

I am thankful for the faith that I had, believing that God would definitely give me the one at the right time. I am also thankful for having God beside me throughout my journey of search, strengthening me every time I get hurt when the pain nobody could fathom, and teaching me to let go and to forgive and for always giving me hope. Finally, I thank God for giving me what I deserve and for making me genuinely happy.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Gleenn!! This is a very beautiful and inspiring post, I hope those who are losing hope get to read to read this. Also thank you for submitting the story to my contest, otherwise I most probably wouldn't get a chance to read it, so I am thankful you shared it with me!! I have to say thought that the contest has ended already, June 13th was the last day to submit a story. Nonetheless, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Gleenn!! I'm happy for you that you got the one you are looking for!! Keep Rocking & All the best guys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So online dating really does work, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Caleb,

    I guess it did work for me, and so with a lot of people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture and it is great to know that you are really happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaww, sweetheart. It's a very sweet news. I'm sincerely happy for you. And thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe everyone has a mysterious way

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy for you, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetie, I'm so happy for you!! Don't you just love being in love? I wish we were all in love!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time. I'll get back to you soon. :)