Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Would you want to live at old age?


How to spend my old age did sometimes come into my mind. I thought of writing books. Perhaps I would write something about Mathematics since it is my field of expertise; but most probably, I would write more about fiction. I am blessed with abundant imagination and if there is such a thing as mind recorder, I must have had an abundant number of books published by now. Thus, when time comes that I would no longer have to go to work; it would be perfect for writing. But I was wrong. What I thought as old age was actually not “old age” but “retirement age”. I realized this yesterday when our school visited the country’s first ‘home for the aged’ founded as early as 1953, the Social Welfare Development Center for Older Persons. Visiting such a place exposed me to the reality of old age. The beauty and harshness of life were both painted on those extremely wrinkled and some hollowed faces that I saw, mingled and smiled with for half a day. Each had story to tell.

But what really hit me, was the thought of how futile everything would be when old age comes. When you are no longer able to walk, when you are not capable of eating by yourself, or when you have to wear some huge diapers for you to pee and poo-poo. When you harvest the cruelty of Alzheimer’s disease, or when you seem to be mentally ill because you woefully keep replaying that most terrible pain from the past, or when you just have to lay on the bed for the rest of the day looking at the ceiling, or when you just have to sit in a tiny cubicle-like room [if not cage-like] wishing that you have somebody to talk to other than the same old people like you, would you still want to live such an age?

I realized that whatever possessions you would gain, whatever honor or status you would earn through hard work, when old age comes, nothing will matter. How much more when you die? So why not just live and enjoy life?

home for the aged


Lonely woman in the cell photo was captured by Michael Braun.

4 comments:

  1. I wish not live until that old age. I want productive at entire my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog!!! please visit us, thanks^^ (asianworldmusic.blogspot.com)

    i clicked some google ads for you ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love senior citizens.

    http://usaparttime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right Gleen. People spend too much time worrying about getting old and dying than they do embracing the life they have right now:)

    We are so vulnerable and we take that for granted.
    Live each day as if it is your last is very good food for thought:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time. I'll get back to you soon. :)